Friday, May 1, 2009

Reflection #9

Education cuts mean layoffs of Washington's newest teachers

I know everyone is aware of the cutbacks but I thought I would comment on this article I read in the Seattle Times.

I personally think this really shows where our country puts its priorities. We spend billions of dollars bailing out the auto industry as well as others but we cut back on the amount we give to education. As a nation we say education is important. We hardly ever hire anyone without a college degree. Yet, we don't give it our priority financially and the money we do give is not used wisely.

Instead of trying to budget the money we do have wisely we cut programs that are more important than we think.

Sports and music are usually the first to go. However, it is these very programs that keep kids in school. Many students, without the opportunity for after school programs, end up on the street. Eventually these students drop out. When they have to go to school in order to be involved in sports and music they stay and learn. This sounds terrible but if it keeps them from dropping out why cut it?

I don't have an answer as to where to cut and how to budget but I think cutting the sports and music is a very bad idea. The only plus is that kids will drop out and we will have less to have to teach. This is obviously a bad reason. We should want every student to succeed and finish school regardless of whether or not they come just so they can do sports or play an instrument.

Wow, I hope my ranting didn't bore you and I hope I got my point across.

No comments:

Post a Comment