One thing I think I will dislike the most about teaching is the substitutes!
I'm going to vent a little so bear with me. :)
When working at Lakeview in the 2nd grade class we had a sub. The teacher was on her way out the door to head to school when her son began throwing up.
I walk in the door to see the sub speaking in disgust as the 2nd graders bring in the projects they have been working on for a long time. she was saying things like: "what's that!?" "That's too big." "Why are you bringing those in here?"
The entire day went this way. The students are very sweet and good behaving kids. When ever they would explain something to the sub, she would get upset and say, "I don't care how you do it, you're doing it my way. I'm the teacher right now!" Yes, I realize to some extent she is right. However, it was the way she spoke and treated the kids that just got under my skin.
One little girl wet her pants because she was too scared to ask to use the restroom!
Whew... that felt good just to get it out. :) All I can say is I hope I never have to deal with another sub like her, but I'm sure I will. If not directly then picking up the pieces the next day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This is the saddest substitute story I have heard! With anything, there are good substitutes and bad substitutes. While it is sad for the students, I think it is good for us to see so we know what not to act like. While a sub is the 'temporary teacher', they are not the teacher of the class. I think they should follow whatever notes are left by the teacher and not try to push the way they like to do things on the students. Asking a neighboring teacher for hints as to the normal teacher's and/or school's procedures could help in these situations. I am sorry you had to see that and poor girl who wet her pants : (
ReplyDelete